Cleveland-area ski resorts, including Boston Mills, Brandywine, and Alpine Valley, have always attracted people from all over Northeast Ohio, yet people often overlook some of the great resorts a short flight or drive from Cleveland. We recently went on a family ski vacation in Stowe, Vermont. The Stowe Mountain Resort fit my families skill level, budget, and personality. A bonus was that it does not take long to get on the slopes because of the quick flight to Burlington International Airport (Stowe is a 40 minute drive).
The Stowe Mountain Lodge is a beautiful place to stay. The accommodations were new and clean. We saw more cleaning and maintenance staff than guest. The rooms were big and conformable. Our suite was perfect for our big family as it had two bedrooms and a living room with a couch that was also a pullout. As at any resort, the food prices can be a little expensive. In an effort to save money, we usually try to get a suite or condo with a kitchen. This trip was no different, we stopped at the grocery store and pick up breakfast food, pizzas, and snacks. The “Over Easy” gondola makes getting back to the room for lunch fast and easy.
The runs at Stowe were fun and challenging for skiers of any ability. The specially designed kids and teens ski /snowboard school raised our family’s skills to the next level. The staff at Stowe went to great lengths to make certain that our entire family had a splendid time on and off the slopes. We had a memorable family vacation that included more than just skiing. Our family went snowshoeing, swimming in the heated pool, and had dinner at great local restaurants. We had a fantastic time and will be going back.
TIP! Make sure everyone in the family has the proper safety equipment. A Helmet is a must. A great place to get ski and snowboard equipment is amazon.com
When it comes to taking a weekend ski vacation with the entire family, the staff here at Cleveland Moms Rock also highly recommends:
– Holiday Valley in Ellicottville, N.Y.
– Seven Springs Mountain Resort in Seven Springs, PA
– Peek’n Peak Resort, in Findley Lake, N.Y.
When planning a ski vacation for the whole family, here are a few things to consider before you select the right resort:
– What is your family’s ski / snowboard ability?
– Travel time and cost.
– The size of the resort.
– Ski-in, ski-out accommodations are a must. It is an unnecessary hassle to wrangle your family in and out of a shuttle or SUV. A ski-in, ski-out condo/suite will get you out of the cold in a matter of minutes.
– What is the quality of the instructors and school? We took our children to Boston Mills to get them comfortable with the ski lift and the basic technique. Ski / snowboarding school is a must for any beginner. Three-years-old is the very earliest they will be actually skiing, and then only after they are completely potty trained. Know your child’s learning style and ask about ski school class size.
– What non skiing activities the resort have? Kids can have just as much fun climbing in a snow castle, going down a tubing hill, snowshoeing or cross-country skiing. Our children love outdoor heated pools.
TIP! Families with smaller kids may want to choose resort a little closer to Ohio as not to pay for a huge mountain you will never see. However, our teenagers love the freedom and room to explore the big resorts have to offer.
Let us know if you have any helpful tips to making your family ski vacation a great one.